Kentucky Opera: Brown-Forman 2017-18 Season
Sister Helen Prejean’s searing memoir about her work as a spiritual advisor to prisoners on Death Row inspired both an Oscar-winning movie (with Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn) and what one writer called “opera’s first big move into the real world.” Denver Post
Sentenced to be execute for a heinous crime, Joseph de Rocher can only find peace by confessing.
Be there as the murderer, the woman of God who helps him find redemption, and the families of both the victim and the killer embark on a wrenching and poignant emotional journey in what is arguably the “most successful contemporary opera of our time.” Washington Post
Performed in English with English supertitles
Director: Ellen Douglas Schlaefer
Conductor: Joseph Mechavich
Sister Helen Prejean: Emily Fons
Joseph DeRocher: Morgan Smith
Mrs. Patrick DeRocher: Phyllis Pancella
Sister Rose: Karen Slack
Kitty Hart: Emily Albrink
Owen Hart: Chad Sloan
Father Grenville: Dennis Petersen
Warden Benton: Evan Boyer
- Performance includes 20 minute intermission.
- Lunch and Listen: October 18th, 11:00 AM at Louisville Public Media. Listen Live at WUOL 90.5FM.
- Opera Preview begins one hour before the performance in the Brown Theatre Rehearsal Hall.
- Opera Talk Back with the conductor follows the Sunday performance.
- Parking is available at the Brown Hotel Garage - access via 3rd St for $6 and valet parking in front of the Brown Theatre for $15.