Kentucky Opera: Brown-Forman 2017-18 Season
One of the most performed contemporary American operas, Dead Man Walking
explores the spiritual journey of a nun who advises a convicted killer on death row. From the composer of Three Decembers
, Kentucky Opera presents Jake Heggie’s first opera, based on the best-selling book by Sister Helen Prejean, with a libretto by Tony®-Award winner Terrence McNally. Exploring the complexity of redemption and forgiveness in the face of society’s demand for retribution, Dead Man Walking
was made into an award-winning film in 1995 starring Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn. The Guardian
(London) raves “Heggie is an unabashed melodist. His music is rich and emotionally charged, and carries enormous atmospheric power.”
Performed in English with English supertitles
Director: Ellen Douglas Schlaefer
Conductor: Joseph Mechavich
Sister Helen Prejean: Emily Fons
Joseph DeRocher: Morgan Smith
Mrs. Patrick DeRocher: Phyllis Pancella
Sister Rose: Karen Slack
Kitty Hart: Emily Albrink
Owen Hart: Chad Sloan
Father Grenville: Dennis Petersen
Warden Benton: Evan Boyer
- Performance includes 20 minute intermission.
- Lunch and Listen: October 18th, 11:00 AM at Louisville Public Media. Listen Live at WUOL 90.5FM.
- Opera Preview begins one hour before the performance in the Brown Theatre Rehearsal Hall.
- Opera Talk Back with the conductor follows the Sunday performance.
- Parking is available at the Brown Hotel Garage - access via 3rd St for $6 and valet parking in front of the Brown Theatre for $15.